Friday, January 22, 2010

The Elusive Boxer

A couple of years ago while visiting my grandfather, my wife and I marveled at a particular cabinet full of wood carvings. When I asked him about it, he plainly mentioned that he's been whittling for years. There were tons of really bad carvings but they had the quality of being carved with sincerity. I'm not sure what the word is for this, but my appreciation for this type of stuff is deep. Fast forward to the following Christmas when THIS arrived in a box from Grampa.

Look closely at the base...that's right. Behold. Mike freakin

Yes! If this actually looked anything remotely like Mike Tyson, I wouldn't want it on my desk.

My grandfather promised to make me a go-kart when I was ten. Still waiting. He promised to carve a gremlin for my wife. Still waiting. So...until Gramps rolls up in a go-kart with a gremlin riding shotgun, Mike Tyson will stand proud. Dukes up. Ready for action.

One oddity of note is that this particular Tyson is illusive in a Yeti sort of way. Look at my attempts with several old cameras to capture his prowess in some half assed artistic way. Tyson wasn't having it!

Attempt with a Smena8M

With my wife's Fuji:

Finally, my home made pinhole camera didn't stand a chance:

Turns out my Grampa is the best artist in the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment